The Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles oversees the distribution and issuance of personalized and customized vanity license plates.
Delaware allows you to determine if your specific lettering on the license plate is available online.
Personalized license plates in Delaware can be ordered at any Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles location and take up to 6 weeks for processing and delivery. License plates can only be ordered by a registered owner and the plate you order must be registered to an Delaware vehicle at the time of issuance.
- Types of Vehicles: The Delaware Department of Finance and Administration allows personalized license plates on Autos, Pickups, Vans and Motorcycles.
- Fee: The fee for a personalized license plate in Delaware is $40 per year in addition to the normal annual registration fee for the vehicle. The plates may be ordered at any Division facility. For more information, visit the Delaware Personalized License Plate Online Application Website.
- Number of Characters: In Delaware, they allow a maximum of 7 characters on your Personalized Plate for an Auto and 5 characters for a Motorcycle. You can use any combination of Letters A to Z, Spaces, Ampersands and Numbers 0 to 9 .
- Limitations: Personalized vanity license plates in Delaware are subject to approval by the Delaware DMV. The website also states that the following are not allowed:
- If the plate includes numerals, the numerals shall be displayed to the right of all letters.
- No vanity plate with all numerals is authorized.
- Hyphens, ampersands, and spaces are permitted and will count as one letter. No other punctuation marks are allowed.
- Any of the specialty plate prefixes followed by any numerals.
- Is My Plate Available?: Yes – you can look your preferred license plate up online! Visit the Delaware Personalized Plate Website.
- How to Order: To order your personalized Delaware personalized license plate, follow these steps:
- Additional Information: For more information on obtaining a personalized vanity license plate in Delaware, visit the Delaware Personalized Plates website, go to any Delaware DMV office or call the DMV at 302.326.5000.
This Site is not owned or operated by, nor affiliated with any governmental organization. This Site contains general information with respect to personalized license plates at the department of motor vehicles in various states. It is for informational and educational purposes only. You should check with the specific state that your motor vehicle is registered in before ordering.