The New Mexico Motor Vehicle Division oversees the distribution and issuance of personalized and customized vanity license plates. New Mexico does not allow you to determine if your specific lettering on the license plate is available online. Personalized license plates in New Mexico can be ordered by mail, fax or in person. License plates can only be ordered by a registered owner and the plate you order must be registered to an New Mexico vehicle at the time of issuance.
- Types of Vehicles: The New Mexico Motor Vehicle Division allows personalized license plates on Autos, Pickups, Vans and Motorcycles.
- Fee: The fee for a personalized license plate in New Mexico is $17.
- Number of Characters: In New Mexico, they allow a maximum of 7 characters on your Personalized Plate (fewer for motorcycles and specialized plates). You can use any combination of the Zia symbol, spaces, apostrophes, dashes, or any combination of letters and numbers. .
- Limitations: Personalized vanity license plates in New Mexico are subject to approval by the New Mexico Motor Vehicle Division. The website also states that the following are not allowed:
- it duplicates any existing plate.
- the division finds it to be derogatory or obscene.
- Contains a direct or indirect reference to drug or drug paraphernalia, or a gang.
- it falsely states or implies that the vehicle or the driver represents the authority of a governmental agency or official..
- Is My Plate Available?: No – New Mexico does not allow you to look your preferred license plate up online.
- How to Order: To order your personalized New Mexico personalized license plate, follow these steps:
- Additional Information: For more information on obtaining a personalized vanity license plate in New Mexico, visit the New Mexico Personalized Plates website, go to any New Mexico DMV Field office or call 888 683 4636.
This Site is not owned or operated by, nor affiliated with any governmental organization. This Site contains general information with respect to personalized license plates at the department of motor vehicles in various states. It is for informational and educational purposes only. You should check with the specific state that your motor vehicle is registered in before ordering