The Montana Department of Justice – Motor Vehicle Division oversees the distribution and issuance of personalized and customized vanity license plates. Montana does not allow you to determine if your specific lettering on the license plate is available online. Instead, you must use the Montana Personalized License Plate Application and submit it to the Montana County Treasurer Motor Vehicle Office in your county of residence. License plates can only be ordered by a registered owner and the plate you order must be registered to an Montana vehicle at the time of issuance.
- Types of Vehicles: The Montana Department of Justice allows personalized license plates on Autos, Pickups, Vans and Motorcycles.
- Fee: The fee for a personalized license plate in Montana is $25 in addition to the regular renewal fee.
- Number of Characters: In Montana, they allow a maximum of 7 characters on your Personalized Plate. A plate must contain at least 2 letters and the letter “O” cannont be used. Spaces cannot be used at the beginning or end of the message. Characters may be repeated. Subject to the foregoing rules, you can use any combination of Letters A to Z, Spaces and Numbers 0 to 9 .
- Limitations: Personalized vanity license plates in Montana are subject to approval by the Montana Department of Justice. The website also states that the following are not allowed:
- any combination of letters or numbers, or both, that may carry connotations offensive to good taste and decency.
- The use of an Ampersand (&).
- Duplication of license plate.
- Is My Plate Available?: No – Montana does not allow you to look your preferred license plate up online.
- How to Order: To order your personalized Montana personalized license plate, follow these steps:
- Additional Information: For more information on obtaining a personalized vanity license plate in Montana, visit the Montana Personalized Plates website, go to the Montana County Treasurer Motor Vehicle Office in your county of residence or call (406) 444-3933.
This Site is not owned or operated by, nor affiliated with any governmental organization. This Site contains general information with respect to personalized license plates at the department of motor vehicles in various states. It is for informational and educational purposes only. You should check with the specific state that your motor vehicle is registered in before ordering