The State of New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission oversees the issuance of personalized vanity license plates. New Jersey offers personalized vanity license plates online. In New Jersey, you must be the owner and registrant of the vehicle to order a personalized license plate, and you may not have been convicted (in any state) of driving while intoxicated, reckless driving and other serious crimes within the last 10 years.
- Types of Vehicles: New Jersey allows personalized vanity license plates on passenger vehicles, vehicles with commercial codes 11 or 15 and motorcycles. Commercial code 11 is for a commercial truck or tractor. Commercial code 15 is for a non-commercial truck or tractor.
- Leased Vehicles: Please note that you cannot order a personalized license plate online in New Jersey if you are leasing your vehicle. For more information on obtaining a personalize vanity license plate on a leased vehicle, contact the MVC Special Plate Unit at (609) 292-6500 or toll-free in NJ at (888) 486-3339.
- Fee: The fee for a personalized vanity license plate in New Jersey is $50.00. This fees is in addition to the annual renewal fee and the plate fee, which is dependent on the type of plate you select.
- Number of Characters: New Jersey allows 5 characters, which include letters, numbers and spaces.
- Limitations: New Jersey does not allow personalized vanity license plates that are deemed to be offensive.
- Is My Plate Available?: The good news is you can look it up online! The process outlined below in the “How to Order Online” section will allow you to look your preferred New Jersey license plate up online.
- How to Order Online: To order your personalized New Jersey vanity license plate online, go to this website.
- Go to the Order Personalized Plates website of the State of New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission and click “Get Started”.
- You must have a MyMVC account number to order online. To get a MyMVC account number (if you don’t already have one) go to this website.
- Make sure you have your driver’s license number, Social Security Number and Current License Plate Number.
- You can pay with a credit card (Visa, MasterCard, AMEX and Discover are accepted).
- Additional Information: For more information on personalized license plates in New Jersey, contact the MCV Special Plate Unit at (609) 292-6500. You can also contact the State of New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission by mail or phone at:
New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission
P.O. Box 160
Trenton, NJ 08666
(609) 292-6500 or toll free in NJ (888) 486-3339
This Site is not owned or operated by, nor affiliated with any governmental organization. This Site contains general information with respect to personalized license plates at the department of motor vehicles in various states. It is for informational and educational purposes only. You should check with the specific state that your motor vehicle is registered in before ordering