The Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles oversees the distribution and issuance of personalized and customized vanity license plates. Massachusetts allows you to determine if your specific lettering on the license plate is available online. Personalized license plates in Massachusetts may be ordered via mail or in person at a full service registry branch and take 12 – 14 weeks for processing. License plates can only be ordered by a registered owner and the plate you order must be registered to an Massachusetts vehicle at the time of issuance.
- Types of Vehicles: The Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles allows personalized license plates on private passenger, commercial, motorcycle, livery, bus, camper or antique vehicles..
- Fee: The fee for a personalized license plate in Massachusetts is $50 in addition to the regular renewal fee. RFor more information, visit the Massachusetts Vanity License Plate Requirements Page.
- Number of Characters: In Massachusetts, they allow a maximum of 6 characters on your Personalized Plate (5 for motorcyles) and the first two characters must be letters. Also, you cannot mix letters and numbers together. You can use any combination of Letters A to Z, Spaces and Numbers 0 to 9 .
- Limitations: Personalized vanity license plates in Massachusetts are subject to approval by the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles. The website also states that the following combinations are not allowed:
- Vulgar in that it is in poor taste or is degrading or is considered a profanity, including a swear or curse word, not usually displayed in the community for general viewing.
- Derogatory in that it disparages or belittles someone or something.
- Refers to a sexual body part, a term for or most closely associated with a sex act, or the availability for sex.
- Expression of contempt, ridicule, or superiority of a race, religion, deity, ethnic heritage, gender, sexual orientation, or political affiliation.
- Is My Plate Available?: Yes – you can look your preferred license plate up online! Visit the Massachusetts Personalized Plate Website.
- How to Order: To order your personalized Massachusetts personalized license plate, follow these steps:
- Visit the Massachusetts Personalized Plate Website to see if your personalized message is available THEN
- Complete a Personalized Massachusetts License Plate Application form. Submit your application and fees by mail to:
- Additional Information: For more information on obtaining a personalized vanity license plate in Massachusetts, visit the Massachusetts Personalized Plates website, go to any Massachusetts full service registry branch or call1-857-368-8000.
This Site is not owned or operated by, nor affiliated with any governmental organization. This Site contains general information with respect to personalized license plates at the department of motor vehicles in various states. It is for informational and educational purposes only. You should check with the specific state that your motor vehicle is registered in before ordering./p>