In the State of Idaho, the Idaho Transportation Department oversees and allows personalized vanity plates to be ordered through their website or by submitting a form via fax or mail. Vanity plates in Idaho are divided into two categories (1) a Standard personalized license plate or (2) a Special personalized license plate that features an additional state specific feature, such as a collegiate plate, or a plate supporting the Idaho Historic Preservation or Breast Cancer Awareness.
- Types of Vehicles: Idaho allows personalized vanity license plates on passenger cars and pickup trucks, motor homes and motorcycles.
- Fee: For standard plates, Idaho charges an extra initial fee of $25 and an extra annual renewal fee of $15. For special plates, Idaho charges an extra initial fee of $60 and an extra annual renewal fee of $40. These fees are all in addition to the initial and annual renewal fees for normal (non-personalized) license plates.
- Number of Characters: For standard plates on passenger cars, trucks and motor homes, a total of 7 letters, numbers and spaces are allowed. For standard plates on motorcycles, a total of 6 letters, numbers and spaces are allowed. For special license plates, a total of 5 letters, numbers and spaces are allowed for all vehicles.
- Limitations: From the Idaho website, “Personalized plates, in any language, may not carry a sexual term that is vulgar, obscene, or in poor taste, nor consist of a term that is considered to be one of obscenity, contempt, prejudice, hostility, insult, racial degradation, ethnic degradation, profanity, or vulgarity.”
- Is My Plate Available?: The good news is you can look it up online! For standard plates, Idaho makes available an online form to determine if your preferred 7-digit text is available. If you want to see if a standard plate on a motorcycle is available, go to this page. For special license plates, first go to this page to determine what type of license plate you want. Once you have chosen, you can then enter your 5-digit text to see if it is available.
- Who to Contact: To order your personalized Idaho vanity plate online, go to this website. To order your plate by printing out an application go to this website and print out the PDF. You can mail your completed application to:
Idaho Transportation Department, Special Plates
PO Box 7129
Boise ID 83707-1129
You can also fax your completed application to (208) 334-8542. MasterCard and Visa is accepted.
- Additional Information: For more information on personalized license plates in Idaho, you can write to the address above, or call (208) 334-8649. Or you can visit the Idaho Department of Vehicles Website. For a complete list of Special License Plate Application Forms, go here.
This Site is not owned or operated by, nor affiliated with any governmental organization. This Site contains general information with respect to personalized license plates at the department of motor vehicles in various states. It is for informational and educational purposes only. You should check with the specific state that your motor vehicle is registered in before ordering.