The Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicle Department oversees the distribution and issuance of personalized and customized vanity license plates.
Florida allows you to determine if your specific lettering on the license plate is available online.
Personalized license plates in Florida must be ordered at your local Florida Tax Collector office and an application must be completed to fulfill your order. License plates can only be ordered by a registered owner and the plate you order must be registered to a Florida vehicle at the time of issuance.
- Types of Vehicles: The Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicle Department allows personalized license plates on any motor vehicle owner or lessee except a vehicle which requires “Restricted,” “Apportioned,” “Wrecker,” or dual (two) truck license plates.
- Fee: The fee for a personalized license plate in Florida is $15 in addition to any regular renewal fees. For more information, visit the Florida Personalized License Plate Online Application FAQ.
- Number of Characters: In Florida, they allow a maximum of 7 characters on your Personalized Plate. You can use any combination of Letters A to Z, Spaces, a Hyphen and Numbers 0 to 9 .
- Limitations: Personalized vanity license plates in Florida are subject to approval by the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. The website also states that the following are not allowed:
- Any reservation deemed objectionable or obscene.
- This configuration is available now, but may no longer be available when the reservation is attempted at the Florida local tax collector’s office.
- Some plate types require applicants to meet certain qualifications.
- Discontinued plates.
- Is My Plate Available?: Yes – you can look your preferred license plate up online! Visit the Florida Personalized Plate Website.
- How to Order: To order your personalized Florida personalized license plate, follow these steps:
- Visit the Florida Personalized Plate Website to see if your personalized message is available THEN
- Complete a Personalized Florida License Plate Application form. Submit your application and fees to your local county tax collector’s office or license plate agency with proof of Florida insurance and a copy or your current registration or renewal notice. Plates take 6 to 8 weeks for delivery and are delivered to your county tax collector’s office or license plate agency.
- Additional Information: For more information on obtaining a personalized vanity license plate in Florida, visit the Florida Personalized Plates website, go to any Florida tax collector office or license plate agency or call the Florida Department of Highway and Motor Vehicles customer service center at 1-850-617-2000.
This Site is not owned or operated by, nor affiliated with any governmental organization. This Site contains general information with respect to personalized license plates at the department of motor vehicles in various states. It is for informational and educational purposes only. You should check with the specific state that your motor vehicle is registered in before ordering.