≡ Menu


    The state of Kansas allows the issuance of vanity or “personalized” license plates on a rolling 5 year basis by statute.  The current 5 year period is 2010 through 2015.  So, if you purchased a personalized license plate today, the fee would be good through the end of the current 5 year period and then you would have to pay an additional fee for another 5 years.
  • Types of Vehicles:  Kansas allows a vanity license plate on your auto, truck or motorcycle.
  • Fee:   $46 for auto and truck or $45.50 for motorcycle, payable one time only, for the period of the five year plate cycle.  This fee is in addition to regular taxes, annual vehicle registration fees and any county fees.
  • Number of Characters:  For auto and truck, a total of 7 letters, numbers and spaces.  For motorcycles, a total of 5 letters, numbers and spaces.
  • Limitations:  The Kansas Director of Vehicles may disallow any combination of characters that it deems profane, vulgar or lewd.
  • Is My Plate Available?:  Kansas does not provide a website to determine  the availability of a word of phrase on a specific plate.  However, you can call your local Kansas Treasurers Office to see if it is available.
  • Who to Contact:  Contact your local county treasurers office for information of purchasing a personalized vanity license plate.  A link to all Kansas Treasurers office can be found here.
  • Additional Information:  For more information on personalized license plates in Kansas, you can email the Kansas Department of Revenue at  Personalized.Plates@kdor.ks.gov.  You can also call the Kansas Department of Revenue, Titles and Registration office at 785-296-3621 or call your local Kansas Treasurers Office.

For more information on obtaining a Kansas Personalized License Plate, please visit this website.
This Site is not owned or operated by, nor affiliated with any governmental organization. This Site contains general information with respect to personalized license plates at the department of motor vehicles in various states. It is for informational and educational purposes only. You should check with the specific state that your motor vehicle is registered in before ordering.