The Georgia Department of Revenue – Motor Vehicle Division oversees the distribution and issuance of personalized and customized vanity license plates. In Georgia, vanity license plates are referred to as Prestige License Plates. Georgia does not allow you to determine if your personalized license plate is available online. Instead, interested motorists must complete Form MV-9B Special (Personal) Prestige License Plate Application and submit it to your Georgia County Tax Commissioner’s Tag Office . License plates can only be ordered by a registered owner and the plate you order must be registered to an Georgia vehicle at the time of issuance.
- Types of Vehicles: The Georgia Department of Revenue – Motor Vehicle Division allows personalized license plates on Autos, Pickups, Vans and Motorcycles.
- Fee: The fee for a personalized license plate in Georgia is $35 in addition to the regular renewal fees and taxes. For more information, read the Georgia Personalized License Plate Online Application Form.
- Number of Characters: In Georgia, they allow a maximum of 7 characters on your Personalized Plate for Private Passenger Vehicles and 6 characters for motorcycles. You can use any combination of Letters A to Z, Spaces and Numbers 0 to 9 .
- Limitations: Personalized vanity license plates in Georgia are subject to approval by the Georgia Department of Revenue. The website also states that the following are not allowed:
- Any plate that would be obscene, profane or defamatory.
- Any plate that refers to sex, disparages a religious belief, ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation.
- Any plate that indicates a position or office held, trademark or copyright.
- Any plate that makes reference to drugs or alcohol.
- Is My Plate Available?: At this time, you cannot determine if your plate is available online.
- How to Order: To order your personalized Georgia personalized license plate, follow these steps:
- Complete the Form MV-9B Special (Personal) Prestige License Plate Application THEN
- Submit it to your Georgia County Tax Commissioner’s Tag Office
- Additional Information: For more information on obtaining a personalized vanity license plate in Georgia, visit the Georgia Personalized Plates FAQs website, go to any Georgia County Tax Commissioner Tag Office or call the Department of Revenue at 1-855-406-5221.
This Site is not owned or operated by, nor affiliated with any governmental organization. This Site contains general information with respect to personalized license plates at the department of motor vehicles in various states. It is for informational and educational purposes only. You should check with the specific state that your motor vehicle is registered in before ordering.