The South Dakota Department of Revenue oversees the distribution and issuance of personalized and customized vanity license plates. South Dakota allows you to determine if your specific lettering on the license plate is available online. Personalized license plates in South Dakota can be ordered using this form. License plates can only be ordered by a registered owner and the plate you order must be registered to an South Dakota vehicle at the time of issuance.
- Types of Vehicles: The South Dakota Department of Revenue allows personalized license plates on any non-commercial registered car, truck, motor home and/or motorcycle. Commercial
vehicles like delivery vans or taxis may not carry personalized plates.
- Fee: The fee for a personalized license plate in South Dakota is $25 in addition to the regular renewal fee.
- Number of Characters: In South Dakota, they allow a maximum of 7 characters on your Personalized Plate. You can use any combination of Letters A to Z, Spaces and Numbers 0 to 9 .
- Limitations: Personalized vanity license plates in South Dakota are subject to approval by the South Dakota Department of Revenue.
- Is My Plate Available?: Yes – you can look your preferred license plate up online! Visit the South Dakota Personalized Plate Website.
- How to Order: To order your personalized South Dakota personalized license plate, follow these steps:
- Visit the South Dakota Personalized Plate Website to see if your personalized message is available THEN
- Complete a Personalized South Dakota License Plate Application form.
- Additional Information: For more information on obtaining a personalized vanity license plate in South Dakota, visit the South Dakota Personalized Plates website, or call (605) 773.3541.
This Site is not owned or operated by, nor affiliated with any governmental organization. This Site contains general information with respect to personalized license plates at the department of motor vehicles in various states. It is for informational and educational purposes only. You should check with the specific state that your motor vehicle is registered in before ordering